Sunday, August 22, 2010

Toys and games #3





We just finished four days of the San Juan County Fair here in Friday Harbor; animals, exhibits, rides and games...something for everyone. As I watched kids around the fair, having fun, I noticed again how much we have in the U.S. to provide fun for our kids. As I continue to reflect back to the kids in the Dominican Republic and those who live in the bateys I'm reminded that joy and fun don't come from the games themselves, but from the interactions between people. It doesn't take much to produce fun for kids.

Baseball is the #1 national sport in the Dominican. Almost every afternoon you can see a group of kids and young people organizing a game of baseball in a field. I took a picture of a group of boys getting a game going. They were happy to pose for me. Girls play house just like girls in the U.S. The little girl in the photo is cooking up some tasty stew, with her own ingredients. Almost all of the activities are outside, no T.V.'s, no video games, no screen time, just kids playing with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment