Sunday, July 1, 2012

Reflections from the Casa rooftop

I was sitting on the roof of the Casa the other night and thinking, how in the world did you get here? Honestly, me in the Dominican Republic, for the fourth year in a row. Then I remembered a short conversation I had with my friend Darlene Clark about taking basketball to another place far far away from San Juan Island; teaching skills...a camp...wouldn't that be fun, she asked? She gave me a little encouragement, off she went and so did my imagination. However, I had no idea I would end up in the Dominican Republic, in fact the geography was pretty foggy in my brain...hmmmm? Where is the Dominican Republic? Here I sit, four years later, reflecting on last weeks camp, which saw young people from Friday Harbor, experiencing the people of the Dominican Republic, serving our great God through basketball and the hard work of mixing cement for families in need. I'm feeling pretty filled up with awe and wonder...just like I know our team is as they fly back to Seattle. Just take a close look at Otis, pictured with the little boy in his arms, a know what a huge impact he made on this little guys life. This scene was multiplied many times over this past week through everyone of us. More stories and pictures are coming. Thanks for making this possible for all of us through prayer and financial gifts. CJ said it best I think for all of us when he shared something like this at our good-bye party..."These memories will live with me forever and I have been changed."

No comments:

Post a Comment