Saturday, June 23, 2012

Saturday night

I wrote this last Saturday night...and am just now getting to post it. If you listen to the music above the post will have more flavor and meaning... It is Saturday night here in Barahona and that means that you can almost always hear music in the distance, sometimes merengue and sometimes bachata. I’m not sure I would want to be next to the speaker it is coming from, because it has to be very loud for me to hear it at the Casa. Whoa! This music makes you want to move...very fun to listen to and hard to stay seated. We just got news that the team from Seattle that is coming tonight won’t arrive until around 7:30 p.m. I’m pretty sure they are going to be exhausted. I hope their drive here goes smoothly. We had some thunderstorms here in Barahona today; refreshing when it happens, then the humidity usually ramps up big time. Our friend Manuel Emilio stopped by the Casa to see us and get out of the rain. He came in town with friend Yelin to get some medicine. Dominicans generally don’t like the rain, at least working or traveling in the rain, especially if your riding a motorcycle. Last night our friend Franklin invited Carly and I to his church. As we were driving around the streets of Barahona I was struck by how many neighborhood churches there were here. Our cook Manuela tells me that there are four churches on her street. Just driving through the neighborhoods you can here people singing praises to God. It was a Thursday night too. The people this church meet four times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment