Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hola amigos! It is Erin. It has been fun sharing so much with the children here. I went with the recreation group to a community called Los Robles (Darlene, Steve, Ellie, Carly, Maggie, Kathy, Lauren, Austin, and Sarah). I taught the children how to play with parachute, while Steve and Austin started a game of kickball. The parachute was great. I am sure you all remember the parachute from grade school and the bright colors verde/green, rojo/red, amarillo/yellow, azul/blue. We made a merry-go-round with the parachute and also would make a house by lifting the parachute really high and then bringing it down to the ground quickly to trap the air. The faces on the children when I was trying to teach them was incredible. They wanted to learn and loved all the colors. I have been going back and forth from different batey´s working with children either in the morning or in the afternoon, and then the rest of my time is also working with the basketball clinics. Today after the morning basketball clinic we were able to share with the young players the many tennis shoes that everyone donated from Friday Harbor. The young boys were very content and happy to recieve a new pair of shoes, socks, and even basketball jerseys from the Minnesota group that is working along side us. It has been an overwhelming experience to witness the gratitude that many of these children share with us all. I enjoy the conversations that I have had thus far about my personal relationship with God and the love that I have working with the children. My heart is full of joy. This afternoon at lunch my Dad and I were able to converse with two Haitian boys (Naldo/18 years y Estali 17 years) who both participated in the basketball clinic this morning. These young men both play basketball and baseball. They are part of the "I love baseball" program here in Barahona. The best part of our conversation is that they were open to share their love for Christ and that they hope for their friends and family to all know Christ. It is exciting to see these young men share passionatly the good news with others. Each day is new and exciting and such a blessing how God is opening doors for us all. love you all. Un gran abrazo (a big hug) ERIN

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog! Thanks for bringing us into your world even for just an extended snapshot.-Steve Sundin

    ReplyDelete